Sunday, November 23, 2008

Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving is coming up this week and it made me think about the little odd things that I am thankful for. I have set a goal to send 10 emails by the end of the month telling someone about something small they did that I am thankful for. If you feel inclined to join in, please go ahead and comment here.

Tonight I sent an email to Bidwell Presbyterian Church in Chico, CA. I went to services there when I was a student on exchange at Chico State. I am thankful for the presence they have at that University and in that Community. I never got involved in their programs, ministries, or even remember talking to a single person there, but I remember being so thankful that there was a church where I could go and worship the same God I had worshipped back in Iowa and feel like part of a family of Christ, even when I was so far away from my family and friends.

Other odd/small things I am thankful for:

  • The dents on my piano from the light that always tipped over. It makes me thankful for the piano lessons my parents sacrificed time and money for to give me a valuable gift.
  • The crack in my rear fender on my car. It reminds me that when I skidded on ice and into the ditch 4 years ago, this is the only injury I have to show for it.
  • The bread machine we got for a wedding gift (and the recipe book that came with it). You can't beat the smell of fresh baked bread and a hot slice of parmesan-pepper bread with egg and ham on it makes my commute so much better in the morning
  • Co-workers who aren't afraid to be silly and fun. Random turkey gobbles, pilgrim hats, holde-digging bets, and gingerbread houses make the 40 hours a week we spend together so much more bearable, oops, I meant enjoyable.

No comments: