Sunday, October 12, 2008

October 12: John 8-13

"A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another." ~John 13:34-35
When we think of love, we tend to think of it as a feeling, but Jesus uses it as a verb when he commands his disciples to love one another. What does love look like as a verb? Does it just mean doing things that make other people feel good?

God measures love by obedience, not by feelings.

"This is how we know that we love the children of God: by loving God and carrying out his commands. This is love for God: to obey his commands." ~1 John 5:2-3a

"Jesus replied, 'If anyone loves me, he will obey my teaching. My Father will love him, and we will come to him and make our home with him. He who does not love me will not obey my teaching. These words you hear are not my own; they belong to the Father who sent me.' " ~John 14:23-24

There's even a whole chapter in Deuteronomy 11 called "Love and Obey the Lord".

To love means to obey God.

I think this clears up some confusion when people read in the Bible that salvation comes to those who "obey God and keep his commands". Or, when in Hebrews 5:9, it says that Jesus "became the source of eternal salvation for all who obey him". They think this points to having to do good works or live a perfect life in order to earn salvation. But if love=obedience, then when God says salvation comes to those who obey him, it means to those who love him and out of love, obey his commands. We are saved when we love God and accept Jesus as our personal savior. We obey to express our love.

No comments: