Monday, October 27, 2008

October 27: Hebrews

"Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever." ~Hebrews 13:8

We live in world that is constantly changing. As I see the headline today "Stock market hits 5-year low", I thought back on how much has changed in my life in the past five years.

In the past five years, I've graduated from college, moved twice, gotten married, had 2 different jobs, bought a house, got a dog, been blessed with a niece and a new brother-in-law, watched gas prices soar and then drop, watched my retirement fund grow and then drop, and the list goes on and on.

I can honestly say I am not the same person I was five years ago. In a lot of ways, that's probably a good thing, but the fact is that all of us change, for better or worse, everyday--maybe every hour! It's hard when our friends change, when our family changes, and when our circumstances change. Change is not easy! But amid all the chaos and challenges we face, isn't it a blessing to have one constant stronghold? Jesus Christ, who doesn't change. He is the same yesterday, today, and tomorrow.

I take great comfort in the fact that the same Savior who walked with the apostles also walked with my grandparents. The same Jesus who was there for me when I struggled as a teen is also there for me as an adult. He'll be there for me for the rest of my earthly life, and will be the object of my praise in my eternal life. The same, yesterday, today, and tomorrow.

No comments: