Saturday, September 6, 2008

Homemade Birthday Cake

Do you buy birthday cakes from the bakery/grocery store/professional baker? Why not trying your hand at a homemade cake? When I was growing up, my mom made it seem like a special privilege of each of us to pick out the mix and bake our OWN birthday cake (isn't she tricky?). The best part was mixing different colored frostings and decorating it anyway we wanted. I still like homemade cakes much better and I have more cake recipes I'd like to try than people to bake for!

One of my favorite cookbooks is "Chocolate from the Cake Mix Doctor". Ann Byrn takes ordinary box mixes and "doctors" them up to make beautiful and delicious layer, sheet, and pound cakes, as well as cookies, cheesecake, brownies, and even biscotti! Frosting recipes are also included. The best part is paging through the pictures and picking out something to try. I've had great results with dozens of the recipes found in her book and the step-by-step instructions make it easy! Her
website also has great tips on saving money on your grocery bills. (We're having a Peanut Butter Cake with Fluffy Chocolate Frosting tonight in celebration of DH's upcoming birthday.) Since I never actually buy cakes from the bakery, I'm not contributing the difference to the savings jar this time, but it's just another hint for anyone to try in an effort to have your cake (and save money too).

Investment: $.99 cake mix plus oil, eggs, and additional "doctoring" ingredients, many of which you'll have on hand

Instead of: Store-bought cakes, from $8-$15.

Savings: The difference between what you would have bought and what you made.

Bonus: Kids love helping (and licking the beaters), it creates fond memories, and your relatives at the birthday party will applaud your effort, even if it's less than perfect.

Helpful Hint: Before placing the layers of cake on the serving platter, I place three strips of waxed paper to form a circle. The cake is placed in the center and then frosted, so the waxed paper catches all the drips, smears and smudges. When you're done, pull out the three strips of waxed paper and you'll have a clean serving platter and a perfectly frosted cake!

1 comment:

Bette said...

This is a test to try and leave a comment from Mom's laptop.

P.S. Mom thanks you for the birthday reminder. I'm glad I remembered to bring along a card! ;o)