Saturday, September 27, 2008

September 27 Savings

Saturday is usually my day to clean the house, do the laundry, walk the dog, and bake some goodies while DH is planning for next week's FB game with the other coaches. Today I also spent the morning at a Pampered Chef party and will be the first to admit I did spend a good chunk of money today! The justification (and there always is one, right) is that I got a few Christmas gifts for family and the things I bought for myself will come out of my show choir money left from last year.  Never-the-less, feeling a little guilty,  I consciously chose a lunch and dinner menu that would use up some freezer and pantry stockpiles and create enough leftovers to get us through the end of the month (tater-tot casserole and fruit for lunch and grilled BBQ chicken with seasoned potatoes for supper). 

I also used some long-held ingredients to make Onion Bread, 2 loaves of Pumpkin Bread and 2 Crumb-top Apple Pies which supplemented our meals (and waistlines--I cannot bake something without eating some fresh out of the oven!) I froze one loaf of bread and one pie for the upcoming church auction. For my savings today, I accomplished a FIRST in my life as a wife:

Investment: Our lawn was in desperate need of mowing before a Small Group bonfire tomorrow night and DH was busy every night this week and all day today. So yours truly mowed the lawn for the FIRST time ever! This is a sad fact, but it is the one chore that DH is usually glad to do and it's never been necessary for me to pitch in here before. I have used a riding mower once or twice when growing up, but my grandpa always mowed our lawn and grove (and at 88-still does). But, I did it and even though the wheel patterns are not close to the Major League Baseball-esque designs my husband usually performs, the grass is significantly shorter and that's all that matters.

Instead of: Last year during FB season, we seriously considered hiring the kid down the street to do the mowing for us. Since I was able to help out today, we avoided paying someone else to do it.

Savings: $15

Bonus: It was a gorgeous day, I got a little bit of a workout (our push mower is not self-propelled), and walking a half-hour in my husband's shoes made me appreciate him taking care of this chore 99% of the time.

1 comment:

Life of the Lorenzens said...

Kudos on the lawn mowing! I actually wouldn't mind mowing ours, but I don't even know how to run the mower or trimmer! It's kind of one of those deals where it's Austin's domain and it would be stepping on his toes to enter it.