Saturday, September 20, 2008

September 20 Spending

My no-spending resolve faded today as I spent $5.50 on items that are essentially non-essentials. This morning I brought the stuff that didn't sell at last weekend's garage sale to the 2nd-hand donation store down the street (and remembered to get a receipt for the tax write-off). Of course, I looked around afterwards and found some bargains I couldn't resist.

I bought:
$3.25 for 3 home-decor items I'm saving to eventually redecorate our guest room. (Including 2 Norman Rockwell copies that I'm collecting from garage sales/thrift shops as I see them)

$0.75 for 3 baskets. Our church's Harvest Auction is in a few weeks and I like to put the baked goods I donate into nice baskets--helps to get a higher bid, I think! Plus, they're hardly any more expensive than sturdy paper plates.

Plus...

Investment:
$1 for eight 2-prong pegs that fit in the peg board installed on the garage wall. (Might go back for more of these as needed.)

$0.50 for a bag containing a dozen metal skewers and at least 2 dozen wooden kabob sticks. I've always wanted to grill kabobs, but couldn't justify buying new skewers and the premade kabobs in the meat department are so expensive.

Instead of: The peg hooks cost $0.92 each online for a total of $7.36. The metal skewers would have cost  $3.49/dozen and the wooden kabob sticks would have been $.57 alone (if bought in a quantity of 1000!)

Savings: $11.42 worth of peg hooks, skewers and kabob sticks minus the $1.50 I paid. Total: $9.92

Bonus: The garage peg wall can help us get more organized, and I can start browsing meat/vege kabob recipes, although cake/fruit/marshmallow kabobs are just as likely!

No comments: