Tuesday, September 9, 2008

September 9 Savings

Tonight I was leaving Sioux Center after helping set up for the garage sale and the truck needed gas. I pulled into the Coop where it was $3.49/gal and started filling up, only to remember that there was a Shell station on the way out of town (we get a 5% rebate on our Shell card). It would have been easier to just continue filling and be on my way, but I stopped the pump after 1 gallon, drove out to Shell, filled up there (for $3.45) and then continued on home. I also knew I'd be tempted to grab some fast food after an evening of hard work setting up, but had planned ahead and packed a sandwich, fruit, and cookie to eat on the way home instead.

Investment: $65.55 in gas minus 5% rebate ($62.27) and about $2 worth of a packed-lunch

Instead of: $66.31 in gas with no rebate and a $3 fast food meal

Savings: $4.04 gas and $1 food= $5.04

Bonus: My packed lunch was probably healthier than the fast food taco or burger I would have bought and the gas at Shell in Sioux Center was 4-cents cheaper than Sibley's.

No comments: