Tuesday, September 30, 2008

September Savings Challenge Review

The 30 Days are over and I feel a "wrap-up" of sorts is warranted. In general, the month was not as hard as I expected it to be. I rarely felt deprived and it didn't take that much more time or effort to live more frugally. Some good habits were formed, bad ones broken, and hopefully some of the tips and ideas I posted sparked some ideas in you and allowed you to save some money in September as well.

Here's a list of things I DID in September:
  • I packed many lunches -to work and for car trips
  • I baked my own bread (and bread pudding, cake, pie, apple crisp, oh how I should have stopped at bread)
  • We carpooled a few times
  • I rode my bike more often
  • I got free entertainment from the library and local HS events
  • I ran out of eggs and Orange Juice at the end of the month- the only "staples" that were depleted
  • I read the Owlhaven blog along with several other participating in the "30 Days of Nothing"
  • I used a few coupons and cut out a lot for future use
  • I did get sick of eating my free apples but will continue to try new recipes until they're gone
  • I held a 3-day garage sale (and shopped a few other garage sales, but only spent $5)
  • I saved $289.74 in grocery/toiletry money alone vs. my normal budget
  • I froze corn, applesauce, and chopped apples--none of which I've done before in my married life
  • I got my budget and checkbook up-to-date so I know where we stand in each account
  • I learned that giving is a blessing and that it is truly worth going without some things that I obviously didn't even miss that much in order to give to someone else.

Here's a list of things I DID NOT DO in September:

  • I did not go to the movies
  • I did not buy any concessions at sporting events (DH sprung for some popcorn on Day 30, bless his heart he was hungry!)
  • I did not go to Worthington, MN or Sioux Falls, SD (our local shopping destinations)
  • I did not go into any stores except Fareway (groceries) 3x and the 2nd hand store
  • I did not put anything on my credit card besides gas and $58.47 in groceries/toiletries
  • I did not eat my weekly 2 heads of fresh steamed broccoli (bought some today-it's Oct. 1!)
  • I did not use the automatic car wash-I used quarters for the hand-sprayer instead
  • I did not empty my freezer (above my fridge OR deep freeze), in fact it is full to the brim
  • I did not empty my pantry-the doors currently do not shut all the way
  • I did not go hungry, homeless, naked, cold, or un-entertained, which makes me one of the richest people on earth

So, what will I do now that the month is over?

First, I did buy almost $50 in groceries today--milk, eggs, OJ, fresh fruit and veges, deli ham, ice cream and lots of baking supplies that were on sale as I have many upcoming baking opportunities! But, I will be scrutinizing my grocery purchases through the end of the year and will try to continue working on my stockpile.

Second, I am gathering the money we saved with our other group members and friends in order to deposit it in a fund for the woman in our town going through cancer treatment. If you were following along with the challenge and have saved money for this cause and did NOT receive an email from me today explaining where to send the money, please email me at custombaked@gmail.com or leave a comment below with your email address and I'll send you the info.

Third, I am starting a new challenge called "30 Days of Scripture". Join the October Bible Challenge!

Blessings to all of you who participated and I hope you will share your comments on how the month went for you!

2 comments:

Owlhaven said...

Sounds like you did awesome!

Mary

Tara said...

Great job!