Wednesday, September 17, 2008

September 17 Savings

What do you do when you have lots of apples and some leftover hot dog buns? Make a delicious Apple Bread Pudding! (I added more apples than it called for and cut the vanilla sauce recipe in half). WOW, this recipe is a keeper, served warm with the sauce! We'll see how it tastes cold (I'm sure I'll sneak some for breakfast tomorrow.) An important lesson I've learned from my dad is that many things (bread pudding, apple pie, brownies, and currently Apple Dapple Cake) taste much better when you eat them straight out of the pan with a fork while standing by the counter. For extra good flavor, make sure you are eating this for breakfast, preferably at 5:30a.m.

Investment: I used 3 more free apples and 3 hot dog buns (old getting-dry buns from the fridge make the perfect bread cubes for bread pudding)

Instead of: Buying apples at the store for $.99/lb and throwing out the hot dog buns

Savings: $1 for the free apples

Bonus: The house smelled wonderful when we rushed home from choir practice to pull the Apple Bread Pudding out of the oven and DH was happy it replaced the lingering cooked broccoli smell I created at 6:45 this morning.

No comments: