Monday, September 1, 2008

Savings Jar

To help "collect" your savings this month, I encourage you to make a Savings Jar. It can be a bucket, bowl, jar, or vase that you decorate or just set aside for this purpose. Getting your family's help in decorating the jar also helps reinforce the idea of why you will be saying "no" to some purchases and putting the money in the jar instead.

 If you usually pay cash for your purchases, go ahead and put the extra change in the jar (just don't be tempted to fish it back out!)  Since I have a semi-anal system of accounting where my checkbook contains many expense accounts that I track in Microsoft Money, it is easiest for me to write "IOU" notes by category (color-coded of course) and when my final check donation is written at the end of the month, I will take the appropriate amount out of each expense account. If I ever get the time (or interest from others), I'll write about my accounting system and how it helps me never have to worry about having enough to pay the bills!  Have fun decorating and make sure you put the jar in a conspicuous place to help remind you everyday to make some savings choices!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the idea of a savings jar. It is a visible representation of my efforts to save during this month.

I'd love to hear about your accounting system.

Have a great week accomplishing your "nothing" goals.

MaryLu said...

I love the savings jar! What a great idea to track how frugal you are being.
I do my hubby's and kiddo's haircuts, I should start writing myself out an IOU for each one!
Thanks for the idea and good job on your "nothing challenge"

Bette said...

Is this reminiscent of the nickel jars of long ago? You were always a good saver.