Wednesday, September 17, 2008

September 16 Stretching

You'll notice I didn't use "Savings" in the title for today. DH and I did not spend any money today and in our normal course of the day usually wouldn't have. But, the lesson brought to mind today was that with a little effort, I've been able to stretch supplies that I do have a little longer, putting off a replacement or substitute purchase, which adds up to savings in the long run. A few examples:
  • We used the very last drop of toothpaste in the tube by squeezing, smoothing, and otherwise coaxing the last bit, delaying opening a new tube. Here's how to squeeze toothpaste perfectly.
  • I scraped out the corners of my liquid powder foundation compact and used a sponge pad to apply. I normally throw them out and open a new one once the middle circle is gone.
  • We only had a thick, dry heel of the Parmesan Pepper Bread loaf left, but I carefully sliced it in two, buttered one side, sprinkled with garlic powder and a little shredded cheese and broiled it to eat with leftover spaghetti tonight.
  • I have old hotdog buns in the fridge that I will make into bread pudding tomorrow.
  • I'm getting sick of leftover chili, so I froze some for later and will eat some over a baked potato for supper tomorrow.
  • Once the nozzle stops working on my pump hairspray, I tend to stash it in the back of the closet and eventually throw it out. Now, if I can't get it unclogged, I open the lid and pour it into the next bottle that has a working pump to use it up.
  • When I get to the crumby ends of a cereal box, I either put it in a small tupperware to mix in to yogurt or ice cream (Cinnamon Life Cereal makes a great mix-in and doesn't get so crumbly at the bottom of the box), or I pour part of the small crumbs and part of the next box into my bowl.
Do you have any ways you've learned to stretch the supplies you have on hand to delay or avoid another purchase? Share you ideas!

2 comments:

Life of the Lorenzens said...

That is some serious toothpaste stretching! I usually hold out to the end, but there comes a point where I just get frustrated and tell myself it's only $2 and it takes months to use one tube. ;o)

Also, it's ironic, but I did the exact same thing with bread last night! The Italian Cheese bread I had made was getting dry, so I buttered the remaining pieces, sprinkled with cheese and broiled them to eat with spaghetti (I found a container of sauce buried deep in my freezer).

I've got a Honey Orange sweet bread with dried cranberries ready to come out of the bread maker. Mmmm...:o)

MT said...

Stretching - I like that! I need to definitely do more of it. It is crazy when you really sit down and think about how much we all waste - because of our "lazy" habits.

I do the bread pudding when we have some older bread also. (We love it!) I like your other ideas also. Way to s-t-r-e-t-c-h those dollars!