Monday, September 22, 2008

September 22 Savings

I knew that milk would be running low, so I stopped for *hopefully* the last groceries of the month. The total came to $12.41 for milk, bananas, grapes, pears, butter (it was on sale so I had to take advantage!), and 4 rolls of Pillsbury Buttermilk biscuits. The biscuits are for making broomstick pies over the bonfire that we're hosting next Sunday night for our last Small Group. Instructions: Form 2 refrigerator biscuits around the end of a broomstick. Hold over fire until the biscuit is cooked through and slides off the stick easily (it is hot-be careful). Then spray in some "I can't Believe It's Not Butter...spray" (make sure you say this in Fabio's voice) and shake in some cinnamon sugar. Then fill with vanilla pudding and top off with more cinnamon sugar. Tastes like a warm donut! YUM! I did manage to negotiate some savings out of the trip.

Investment: Generic brand biscuits were 2/79-cents. Pillsbury 4-packs were on sale of $1.5o (originally $1.99), but then I saw the coupon dispenser offering "75-cents off when you buy 3 refrigerated Pillsbury products".  However, they do not sell Pillsbury buttermilk biscuits one roll at a time at this store (and the Grands or flaky large biscuits do NOT work for broomstick pies).  I ended up convincing the cashier to break open the four pack of Pillsbury buttermilk biscuits and scan each of them separately so the coupon would register at least 3 products. Then, when they rang up for $.99 each individually, she found a manager who overrode the system to get back to the 4 for $1.50 sale price. So, I got to use the coupon and ended up paying only $0.75 for the 4 rolls.

Instead of: Paying $1.99 full price for the 4-pack of biscuits.

Savings: $1.24

Bonus: Name-brand biscuits actually DO work better for broomstick pies and now I'm excited for s'mores and pies and I can now use up all the supplies I have leftover from the summer s'mores season.

1 comment:

Otter said...

Wow! That's great that you convinced the cashier to do that for you. And I can't wait to try your broomstick pies- I've never heard of that before!