Friday, September 5, 2008

September 4 Savings

My weekly grocery shopping trip today was scaled back in a major way. For $18.30, I picked up some fruit that was on sale, 1 gallon of milk instead of 2, OJ, margarine, eggs, and oatmeal (the last 3 to make more cookies to sell at a garage sale later this month). I will be posting my monthly grocery savings at the end of the month, but I did make a few specific choices today.

Investment: I bought margarine for baking (2 lbs. @ $0.75) and a can of generic frozen orange juice ($1.19)

Instead of: Real butter (2 lbs. @ $2.19) and generic Orange Juice jug ($1.99)

Savings: $3.68

Bonus: It didn't take as long as usual to shop and put away the groceries!

1 comment:

Life of the Lorenzens said...

You got me beat on the weekly grocery bill (Mine was approx. $32), but I have more people to feed more often. I've always been skeptical of using margarine for baking. I suppose it's b/c we grew up on nothing but real butter. Let me know if you notice any significant differences!